Thursday, October 30, 2008

PORCINI DUST CRUSTED SALMON




It's getting cold my friends, and we need some heart warming food. So based on my obsession with the German, Austrian, Alsatian cuisines I came up with this recipe around Oktoberfest.


One of my favorite ingredients that I choose to cook this time of the year are porcini mushroom, so for my recent dinner I used some.

You can find porcini in gourmet stores or supermarkets, mostly dried, the fresh or frozen are difficult to find on retail shops.

For this dish I've got 2 oz of dry porcini, which I did grind then mix together with a teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of medium hot chili powder.

This dry rub is fantastic on : salmon, pork tenderloin, monk fish loin, even chicken breast bone in. I did buy 3 salmon fillets of 8oz each, which I've generously coated with my rub, then I refrigerate them, wrapped in plastic, for 1/2 an hour . In a saute pan I heated up 3 tbs of canola oil, then I added 3 chopped garlic cloves, one chopped shallot, 1/2 chopped green cabbage (medium size) and 1 glass of Riesling, stirring continuously until the cabbage softens up. And, as a compliment to the cabbage, I added a handful of crozettes (chestnut flour square noodles), which I cooked them along with the cabbage for about 35 minutes. Once the cabbage was done, I took the salmon out of the refrigerator, and I seared them in a hot pan 30 seconds on each side.

After cooking the salmon fillets, I left them to rest on the side for about 10 minutes, then I plated them cut in half, as pictured. We had a beautiful wine with the meal : Chateau Bela Riesling, from Slovakia. This wine is vinified by the famous enolog Egon Muller, and it has similar character like any Auslese Riesling.

I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.

Cheers!





No comments: